You're not alone. Many people experience issues such as these:
- Side effects, such as stomach upset, that prevent you from taking a medication orally
- Reluctance to take the medication due to its taste
- Difficulty swallowing pills
- Requiring a different dose of medication that is not commercially available
- Patients who don't want to take medication at all, especially children or pets
Working closely with the patient and the prescriber, compounding gives the pharmacist the means to customize medication to meet the individual needs of each patient.