Tarrytown Pharmacy, originally owned by Guy Kelly, opened its doors the day before Pearl Harbor Day on December 6, 1941, at 3310 Windsor Road. Soon thereafter Mr. Kelly sold the store to Gatewood Newberry, a local investor and businessman. In 1950 Gatewood sold the store to his younger brother Jack (J.D.) Newberry, who lived on Cherry Lane with his wife, Helen, and two children Brian and Neal. J.D. raised his family in Tarrytown, eventually moving to Mountain Laurel Lane to a development his uncle William Gatewood had established. J.D. and Helen had two more children – Keith and Sharon – and continued running the store until 1973.
That year, JD and Helen’s eldest son Brian and wife Judy purchased the store. Brian had graduated from The University of Texas College of Pharmacy in 1968 and spent 5 years gaining experience in chain stores and hospital pharmacies in Austin and Dallas. When Brian took over operations, he made the decision to remove the Soda Fountain and expanded the inventory. The pharmacy continued its legacy as a central gathering place for Tarrytown residents.
In 1986, Brian and his wife Gail moved into a larger space across the parking lot, next door to the Tarrytown Post Office. The move enabled the Newberrys to expand their gift, card, and cosmetic offerings while maintaining efficient pharmacy operations.
Tarrytown Pharmacy has been a backbone of the neighborhood, and the Austin community, for over 75 years. We regularly donate merchandise, time, and funds to local schools and charities and we pride ourselves in our community service – service that begins with our customers. We know their names and their families, and they know ours. Many of them have been shopping with us for five generations and we value their trust and loyalty.
Tarrytown Pharmacy continues to be owned and operated by the Newberry family – the third generation owner Mark Newberry, and his wife Leslie Newberry, are continuing in Brian and J.D.’s traditions of service, community, and dependability.
Mark Newberry graduated from the University Of Texas College Of Pharmacy with a PharmD degree in 2003. He also opened Tarrytown Expocare in 2007, a long term care pharmacy that is currently licensed in Texas, Arizona, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Virginia. In 2008, under Mark's leadership, McKesson Drug Company recognized Tarrytown Pharmacy with the "South Region Pharmacy of the Year" award for its commitment to patients and community service. It was the first and continues to be the only pharmacy in the state of Texas to receive that honor. Mark served on the admissions committee for the UT College of Pharmacy from 2005-2010. In 2010 Mark was asked to sit on the Dean's Advisory Council for the UT College of Pharmacy and in 2013 Mark was appointed by the Dean to serve a two year term as the Chair of the Advisory Council. In 2013, Mark received the Distinguished Young Alumnus Award from the University Of Texas College Of Pharmacy. Mark currently sits on the Cardinal Regional Advisory Board and also serves as the President of The Alliance of Independent Pharmacists. Mark has also been active in his community sitting on several community organization boards including the Stephen F. Austin Society, the SFA Athletic Excellence Fund, and West Austin Youth Organization.
Leslie Newberry is the buyer for the store. She orders and merchandises all of our boutique items, and is very involved in store management. Leslie is a 1998 graduate of Franklin High School in El Paso. She graduated from the McCombs School of Business at the University of Texas at Austin in 2002 with a degree in Marketing. Leslie is a Zeta Tau Alpha alumna and member of the Bremond Society.
When Mark and Leslie are not working they enjoy maintaining their fitness, serving the community and spending time with family. They are proud parents to twin daughters Morgan and Taylor, and three dogs: Hank, Lilly, and McCoy.