Tarrytown Pharmacy has been committed to improving health in the Austin community since our very beginning in 1941. Knowing that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, we now offer in-store health screenings to detect indicators for serious health risks. These health screenings are available any time the pharmacy is open, no appointment necessary, and all of the tests can be performed in a matter of minutes. All exams are administered by pharmacy professionals with a licensed pharmacist on site to assist in interpreting the test results accurately.
Walk-ins welcome, no scheduling required.
All tests available during normal pharmacy hours.
Results received by the end of the visit (usually 5-10 minutes).Simple finger-prick for tests requiring samples.
Testing we provide:
- Blood Pressure (fasting NOT required) Hypertension, or high blood pressure, can be present without feeling any differently, and controlling high blood pressure is crucial in the prevention of heart attack or stroke. This test is completely non-invasive and involves an inflatable arm cuff.
- Blood Glucose (fasting recommended but not required): Blood glucose, or blood sugar, can lead to various different health issues when left uncontrolled. Controlling blood glucose is important to prevent health problems associated with diabetes including cardiovascular, vision, and kidney problems. This test involves a finger stick in order to test a small sample of blood for the current blood glucose level at that time.
- Blood Glucose Average (A1C) $40 (fasting NOT required):While the normal blood glucose test only provides a snap-shot of the current level of sugar in the blood, the A1C test can reveal what the average blood glucose level has been for the previous three months. This test also requires a finger stick to test the blood but is not affected by food and drinks consumed around the time of testing.
- Cholesterol (Full Lipid Panel) $49.99 (fasting for 10 hours required):This cholesterol test gives a complete breakdown of cholesterol in the blood including the HDL (good) cholesterol, the LDL (bad) cholesterol, and triglycerides. Maintaining a proper balance of cholesterol is vital to the prevention of heart attack or stroke.
Cognitive function and brain health screenings
Tarrytown Pharmacy now offers cognitive function and brain health screenings. The cutting edge technology of the Cognivue Clarity, can screen for early-onset dementia utilizing 6 unique testing parameters.
This screening is great for anyone curious about their brain health, cognitive function, or has a history of dementia.
rapid lipid profile testing
This quick 10 minute test requires a finger-prick, small blood sample, and then can produce accurate results!
The Lipid Profile cassette measures the following lab values:
- Total cholesterol (TC), a measure of the total amount of cholesterol in the blood
- High density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol (“good cholesterol”)
-Triglycerides or TRG (fatty acids and glycerol that circulate in the blood and are stored as body fat).
The Lipid Profile also calculates the TC/HDL ratio, non-HDL cholesterol, and estimates the level of LDL cholesterol (“bad cholesterol”).